THE LATEST NEWS!
- Leslie Streeter, entertainment columnist for The Palm Beach Post, will emcee swede fest™ palm beach’s big shindig on Friday, July 27, 2012.
- The films reserved for sweding now include 21, 8 MILE, ANNIE, CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, CLUELESS, DARK KNIGHT, DRAG ME TO HELL, FOOTLOOSE, GHOSTBUSTERS, HARRY POTTER, HARRY POTTER & THE GOBLET OF FIRE, I AM (A) LEGEND, JUNO, MEAN GIRLS, MEDEA’S FAMILY REUNION, MEN IN BLACK, PROJECT X, SALT, SCARFACE, SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS, THE MATRIX, THE NOTEBOOK, THINK LIKE A MAN, TITANIC, and TRAINSPOTTING.
Ever entertained the dream of being the next Steven Spielberg? The next QuentinTarantino? The next Ed Wood? Have we got an opportunity for you…whether you have mad skills or none at all, swede fest™ palm beach is the showcase for your shorts (that’s film-speak for a non-feature-length movie).
What is a sweded film, man?
Coined by the characters in the 2008 comedy, “Be Kind Rewind,” a “swede” is a no-budget, laughably awful remake of a hit film using found objects; handheld camera work; amateur actors like your mom, your brother, or your dog; and a huge dose of hubris (look it up). The result should be 3 minutes (or less) of creative license with the source material that would make the original director laugh and cringe all at the same time.
Here’s an “schwinging” example of the art of the swede…
SUBMISSION DATES: Submit your swede April 1 through July 13, 2012
SWEDE FEST DATE: Friday, July 27, 2012
WHERE: Midtown’s Borland Center for The Performing Arts
4801 PGA Boulevard, Palm Beach Gardens
(just west of I-95 and Military Trail, on the north side)
COST: It’s free to enter your film
CATEGORIES | AWARDS:
- Student swedes (ages 10 through 17)
- Adult swedes (ages 18 and up)
- Sweded Movie Posters (open to all ages)
- Audience Favorite Awards will be given at the conclusion of the screenings, with a very special swede fest™ palm beach trophy.
Brought to you by Midtown, which is obviously much hipper than you thought.